Thursday, February 12, 2009
39: Kitchen Cabinets
Some details and thoughts about my Plain & Fancy cabinets:
* Slide-out shelves in all the lower cabinets make every inch—front to back—accessible and easy to use.
* Soft-close hinges keep cabinet doors and drawers from ever slamming shut.
* Plain & Fancy offers standard paint colors, as well as any custom color. I picked one of their standard whites to help keep costs down. I matched it as close as possible to the white of the ceiling on the first floor. It's not a perfect match, but I like the character that the subtle variation gives the space. This is another example of when a little planned imperfection be a good thing.
* Their factory applied paint is much more durable than regular on-site painted finish. These clean up easily and beautifully. I use Mr. Clean's Erase sponges.
* I chose a very simple raised panel door style called Vogue.
* There weren't a lot of options for the hardware that can be purchased with the cabinets, but I liked their simple hammered pewter finish pulls and used them on both cabinet doors and drawers.
* My Plain & Fancy cabinets are finished inside with a wood veneer that looks very finished and is easy to clean when necessary.