Wednesday, December 17, 2008

A Year Later

Well, it's been a long time since I posted here. Practically a year! I took possession of my new house on December 19, 2007. I make a point of saying "took possession," because the work for me was only just getting started. I had to furnish the house. And then spring and summer arrived...and everything outside was just too tempting. I've been bad with posting (it almost feels unfaithful), and I'd like to make amends.

Before I start again, there's something I have to share with anyone about to build or undertake a major renovation: prepare to give over most of your life to the process, and know that there's no way you'll be prepared for everything.

That being said, I'm committing myself to 101 days of 101 things I've learned, tips I'd like to share, as well as a lot of products and furnishings I've fallen for in the process of building and furnishing my little farmhouse at Twilight Field. Think of me as the friend you ran into at a cocktail party last week who just finished what you're about to start. Take my posts to heart or with a grain of salt.

Starting this Friday, December 19, 2008 check in daily for a new entry. Or, visit whenever you feel the desire. You can always catch up. I learned a lot and will simply enjoy sharing my knowledge and experience with building a house from the ground up.

1 comment:

The House That A-M Built said...

What a delightful surprise to find your blog! Your arrival back on the blogging scene couldn't come at a better time for me! We started building way back in May, 2008 and are just now getting a roof to protect us from our fierce summer storms, here in Australia. We have had the land for 4 years: after 2 architects and 3 building quotes, I went back to the drawing board and designed everything myself (not much of my science degree helped but I thought, 'how hard can it be?'), found a new, affordable builder and crossed my fingers. Not too many mistakes so far: a bath recess built at 189cm when it was 240cm on the plan, a roof truss ending in the middle of a window and an 80cm wide toilet! Mistakes are being fixed at cost to the builder and I can live with an 80cm wide toilet! Everything is closing down now for a month over Christmas but we will be back at it mid January, 2009. I will hang on to every tip you can send my way. Best Wishes, A-M in Australia xx